22-Year-Old Florida Man Fires a Single 9mm Round During a Brawl with Acquaintance in Living Room

By Luke McCoy

A 22-year-old Fort Pierce homeowner shot and killed a 37-year-old acquaintance inside his mobile home after the man pushed him and repeatedly punched him in the stomach. The two had been arguing by text before the confrontation escalated in person. No charges have been filed.

The St. Lucie County State Attorney’s Office will determine whether the shooting qualifies as self-defense under Florida’s stand your ground law. The homeowner’s girlfriend and sister corroborated his account, and he cooperated fully with deputies. The deceased man’s girlfriend has publicly called for justice.

Estimated reading time: 4 minutes

FORT PIERCE, FL — A 22-year-old homeowner shot and killed a 37-year-old acquaintance inside his mobile home Wednesday night after the older man pushed him and punched him repeatedly in the stomach, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office. No charges have been filed.

The two men knew each other and had been arguing by text message, and that argument escalated into a face-to-face confrontation at the homeowner’s door, Sheriff Richard R. Del Toro Jr. said, as reported by CBS12.

Deputies and St. Lucie County Fire District crews were sent to the Seminole Mobile Home Park in the 3300 block of Orange Avenue around 9 p.m. on Wednesday, August 12, 2026. The Sheriff’s Office logged the call at 9:11 p.m.

Investigators say the 37-year-old knocked on the front door and the homeowner let him in. That detail matters, because this was not a stranger coming through a door. It was a man the homeowner knew, arriving at the end of an argument the two of them had been having by phone.

Once inside, the older man pushed the homeowner and then punched him several times in the stomach in what deputies described as a brawl. The homeowner pulled a 9mm handgun. He fired one round into the man’s chest at close range. He stopped there. The 37-year-old was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

“Victim disengaged from the deceased, pulled out a handgun and shot one time,” Del Toro said, using “victim” to describe the homeowner. “The threat was over.”

The homeowner’s girlfriend and sister were inside the mobile home during the fight and gave statements to detectives that corroborated his account, investigators said. He stayed at the scene and cooperated fully with deputies.

Crime scene investigators obtained a search warrant, recovered the handgun, and cleared the residence at 6:11 a.m. Thursday.

Here is where this case is worth thinking hard about if you carry. Deadly force is lawful only against an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm, and that is the same standard armed citizens across the country live under every day. A shoving match does not automatically clear that bar. Repeated blows to the body from a larger man, inside your own home, after a running argument brought him to your door, is a very different set of facts, and it is the set of facts the State Attorney’s Office will be weighing. Del Toro said the case could end up classified as a stand your ground shooting, and he framed the test plainly on camera: “Obviously you have to be in defense of yourself, but at the same time, you have to be in fear for your life. Anytime you’re going to use deadly force.”

The sheriff said the man who died had three felony convictions and a record that included drug-related, resisting-officer, and domestic violence-related charges. Del Toro was careful to say that history was not the reason the man was killed, only context for the investigation, and he is right. A criminal record does not authorize anyone to shoot. What happened in that living room does, or it does not.

More from USA Carry:

Naomi Perez, who identified herself as the girlfriend of the man who died, told reporters she wants answers. “I would like to see some justice,” she said, adding that the couple’s five-year-old son no longer has a father.

Neither man has been publicly identified. The homeowner has not been arrested or charged, and the St. Lucie County State Attorney’s Office will make the final determination on whether the shooting was self-defense or whether criminal charges are warranted.

Read the original story: 22-Year-Old Florida Man Fires a Single 9mm Round During a Brawl with Acquaintance in Living Room